Saturday, May 23, 2009

Its Caturday-let's make us some kitties-step 1














Over the course of the next few days, I'm going to outline the steps involved in creating the stained glass cat face ornaments that I offer for sale in my Etsy store. I have a few different patterns that I use for these kitty critters, the one shown here is the fat faced version. First thing I do is make a carbon copy of the pattern onto brown craft paper.














Next, I search through colored glass globs and find two that are about the same size and shape for the eyes.



















I outline the shape of the eyes onto the pattern and designate which eye is left and which is right. The pattern pieces are also numbered and show their direction in relation to the pattern of the glass.



















The craft paper pattern is then cut apart with scissors. This photo also shows the type of glass I'm using for this particular cat. It is a black wavy glass called Waterlglass. I'll use this for all of the pieces except for the nose, chin and both ears. For those parts I'll be using a flat textured black glass.














All of the paper pattern pieces are then glued down to the glass using regular glue stick. This keeps the pattern pieces from moving during the next step--cut and grind.

No comments: